Gallery: Y Buildings
The YM C A on Main Street


site at 701 N. Main St.

at 701 N. Main St.

sleeping quarters
Hattiesburg's Y story begins in 1913 when C. C. Hightower
, Howard A. Gilliam and V. L. Izard first conceived the idea of a YMCA building for the city. Following a $50,000 fundraiser, construction began at 701 N. Main Street in 1914, though work stopped in 1915 when money ran out.
The (then) War Department requested the completion of the facility to meet the needs of World War I soldiers training at Camp Shelby. With financial support from the National War Council, the building was finished in 1918 and operated almost solely for the benefit of soldiers into 1919.
(NOTE: An early 1900's postcard in our archives shows that a YMCA building also existed at Camp Shelby during this time- photo 3.)
After the war, the Main St. building was turned back over to the local YMCA. The main floor featured a gym, ping pong tables and space for shuffle-board, while the basement housed a locker room and a swimming pool; the pool was temporarily closed in 1946 due to the polio epidemic. The upper floors consisted of dorms which provided travelers in those days with a place to sleep.
The YMCA vacated the Main Street facility and moved into a new 12th Street location in 1959. The front part of the old Main Street structure was demolished in 1960, while the remaining portion was remodeled and served as the home office for The Southeastern Life Insurance Company. That structure was eventually demolished, and the site was prepared for the William M. Colmer
Chancery Court Building which opened in 1974 and remains there today.

Court building at 701 N. Main St.
The YWC A on Hemphill Street


The YWCA was incorporated in Hattiesburg in 1918. The group initially used the club rooms over the Adler Furniture Store for their activities, then moved to the Central Electric Building on Main St.
A 1928 Hattiesburg American article congratulated the YWCA for the completion of its "beautiful new building." The 313 Hemphill Street facility was the former, remodeled Red Circle Auditorium.
In addition to swimming and other sponsored activities for young women, the facility hosted a variety of community functions. A 1952 fundraiser was held for capital improvements. The YMCA and YWCA merged to become the Family Y in 1982, the year in which the building may have closed.
The YMC A on 12th Street

12th Ave; J. M. Gandy's photo is inlaid

The YMCA vacated its Main Street facility in 1959 and moved into the new J. Maury Gandy Memorial YMCA building located at 300 N. 12th Street. The new structure included a full-size gym, kitchen, offices, an auditorium and a health club complete with rubdown tables and steam baths.
The Y shut down its 12th Street operations when it moved to its new Veterans Memorial Drive facility in 1992. The city-run Lt. Ben McNair
Community Center subsequently occupied that site.

at 300 N. 12th Ave
The Family Y at 3719 Veterans Memorial Drive

3719 Veterans Memorial Dr.
The Family Y building opened in 1992 at 3719 Veterans Memorial Drive (Highway 11 at the time of construction). Situated on 12 acres adjacent to the Tatum Park recreational complex (which was under development at the time), the air-conditioned facility boasts 70,000 square feet of space, 50,000 for Y usage with the remainder leased to Forrest General Hospital to provide medical services.
The ADA-compliant facility includes an indoor pool, a walking trail, two gyms, a weight room, office space, a nursery, a kitchen and sick rooms. The building continues to provide Y services to the public in the new millennium. Learn more about the Family Y of Southeast Mississippi.
Proposed Family Y on Mobile Street

at 217 Mobile Street in 2025

Hardware site on Mobile St.
In 2009, The Family Y announced plans to expand downtown. The former Hawkins Hardware Building in the 200 block of Mobile Street was the site chosen for a $500,000 renovation. Plans for the 9,000-square-foot facility included aerobic, yoga and spin classes, childcare, a sauna and a juice bar. The proposal also called for the lease of all 16,900 square feet of the adjoining hardware store for future expansion.
Unfortunately, the economic recession of the time brought building plans to a halt. The project returned to the analysis and planning stage in 2010 with continued interest in a downtown location. The Lucky Rabbit Antique Shop has occupied the building since 2013.
References:
Hattiesburg American: 3/1/1925, 2/3/1928, 5/20/1929, 4/1/1952, 10/16/1959, 2/20/1994, 10/12/1994, 4/17/2009
The History of Forrest County, HAHS: 2000
The Birmingham News Monthly Magazine: 2/14/60
Pine Belt News: 2/14/2010
